Monday, April 9, 2007

KCRW Gives Me Free Tickets to a Musician About Whom I Know Nothing

Being a true Angeleno, the abundant amount of time spent in my semi-claustrophobic, yet oddly-anonymous, Nissan Sentra is actually used for something, much to the weary, jaded scepticism of all those New Yorkers out there who can't imagine anything productive occurring while, gasp, driving across the badlands of Los Angeles. Yes, my friends, time spent driving is time to a)attempt to read the headlines of the Los Angeles Times and maybe the odd opinion column as well or b)try to catch up on thanksless chores such as paying that past-due cell phone bill before service actually gets interrupted(note: reading and punching in a credit card number while driving is a feat Angelenos should demand as part of one of our inalienable rights) or c)engage in shameless flirtation(this tends to be more successful on freeways than surface streets for some inexplicable reason) or d)win concert tickets to an obscure band you've never heard of on KCRW. On my way to Santa Monica and La Brea today to buy a serviceable vase from my local Target retailer, I engaged in option D.

KCRW Announcer:(poised) This is KCRW. You're a winner!
Me: What? I won? Can I talk to Nic Harcourt?
KCRW Announcer: No, he's on-air right now. Can I have your membership number?
Me:(Fumbles through wallet)Umm...I think it's right here. Just a second...
KCRW Announcer: If you're driving, DON'T look for it...
Me:(Still fumbling) Hold on, I can't hear you. I always have bad reception when I go to Target.
KCRW Announcer: Just give me your last name. We'll find your number.
Me:(Relieved) Ohh...(short pause)Abraham.
KCRW Announcer: And your phone number in case we can't find your membership number?
Me:(Confused...again)I just changed it. It's in Koreatown, a 213 number. I could get it off my phone but I'd have to hang up(While this conversation is occuring, clearly-audible car horns and traffic noise can be heard).
KCRW Announcer: No worries. Just show up at Temple Bar at 10 p.m. Tuesday night for your pair of tickets. You're going to see Josh Haden!
Me:(Clearly does not know this artist but goes along in order to seem "in the know")Yes...Josh Haden. Yes. This rules! I've always wanted to see him live! I won!
KCRW Announcer:(Doesn't hide that she finds this display of feigned unabashed enthusiasm distasteful) Thanks for your support(hangs up).

Later, I checked the Temple Bar website and found out that I'd have paid seven dollars cover to see Josh Haden...Nevertheless, I feel an inexplicable small sense of victory, but not so much from actually having earned the right to see Josh Haden free of charge...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh Haden's cool. He's one of the Haden clan, formerly of Spain. Nice score, anyway.

Welcome to L.A.

Anonymous said...

In my grand Radio Contest Winning Days, I won tickets to such big names as Sonia Dada and Jeffery Gaines, to movies I had NO intention of seeing, and meat products, several times after being vegetarian. It's your duty to win.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Ah, the quintessential L.A. moment.

Anonymous said...

Great work.