Friday, April 13, 2007

Kung Futon

OK, so I've earned your disappointment by titling this entry "Kung Futon." However, I confess...I never thought the arrival of something so concrete and tangible as a mere piece of furniture-especially something with an easy-to-dismiss-as-not-quite-serious name such as "futon"- would herald the dawn of a new era, but, indeed, it has...

Officially, your Koreatown Chronicler is now no longer living a semi-monastic existence in a bargain basement sleeping bag atop hardwood; although, strangely, I am already heading toward unmerited sepia-toned nostalgia for the bare-bones "hardwood" days, kind of like Nirvana must have felt about the Bleach album or Walt Disney felt about the Alice comedies as Steamboat Willie rolled into production or (insert one more completely-irrelevant pop culture reference here for rhetorical effect). "When I moved to Koreatown, I didn't have a pillow to lay my head on, etc..."

Anyhow, I currently refuse to post any futon pictures, as I have to have something somewhat suspenseful to draw all you OC types here to Koreatown for my apartment warming gala(date and time TBA-I have to do my best Truman Capote before the Black and White Ball impression here). Of course, for those of you who may already have formed a set opinion on the subject of futons, we'll also be having karoake which I've heard really packs 'em in.

Let me take this opportunity to thank the very helpful staff at The Futon Shop over on La Brea. May the future futon buyers of America flock to your golden shores.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your gala!

I have a futon that's been passed down to me. It's old, ugly, potentially disgusting if you think about it too much, but still amazingly useful.

Gary Hoggatt said...

We've got an actual Japanese style thin flat futon the came to us only slightly used. It's extremely comfortable.

Jennifer said...

Hooray, Brandon! I hope you won't hold out too long on the photos--your Chicago friends eagerly await the updated apartment pics.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I want to know exactly what Cathryn thinks about this!!